At FETN we understand the importance of professional development that recognises the unique skills and qualities that tutors require to work effectively with their learners. We are also aware of the challenges faced by managers of tutorial provision and so we strive to deliver a range of training and development opportunities to support them in their work.
FETN provides a range of training solutions including:
- National and regional training events and workshops
- Distance Learning
- On-line Training
- Bespoke in-house training
1: Training Events, Workshops and Webinars
FETN provides a number of national and regional training events and workshops that are open to members and non-members. Our programme of events are designed to help individual practitioners to develop their tutoring skills, and to support managers to evaluate and improve the quality of tutorial provision.
In addition to our face-to-face events we also provide a range of webinars delivered in collaboration with eMemoir, and regular online meetings for members to discuss current topical issues.
For details of all forthcoming events please visit our Events Page
2: In-house Training & Development
Working with a large number of organisations across the sector we have designed and delivered bespoke training for all areas relating to tutorial provision.
We discuss each aspect of provision the organisation wishes to improve and design appropriate training through a process of consultation to meet those needs.
We can also provide training packs and guidance for organisations to deliver themselves.
3: Online Personal Tutor Training
The FETN Online Personal Tutor Training is a simple and cost effective way for you to ensure that tutors across the organisation receive purposeful training appropriate to their role. This interactive package reflects the National Occupational Standards for Personal Tutoring and is designed to:
- Meet the needs of both new and experienced personal tutors
- Enable individuals to complete the training at their own pace
- Provide valuable evidence of relevant CPD and feedback to support appraisal
This Interactive package Includes:
- Videos of tutors undertaking 1-1 Reviews
- Case studies to consider appropriate responses to supporting learners
- Links to national policy and guidance
- End of section assessment
- Certificate of completion with personal scores
What our customers say:
- “Very informative & thought provoking! It read well, and you can move at your own pace”
- “Good value for money. As a result of the online training we have seen improvements in tutors skills and confidence and the quality of individual reviews”
- “A great resource, positive feedback from staff, looking forward to using it across the organisation”
For further details or to purchase the online training please visit the online tutor training page
4: Distance Learning
This training offers a professional, cohesive and cost effective way to improve the quality of tutorial provision across the organisation.
It is designed to improve the skills and practice of both new and experienced tutors in Further Education and Training Sector who undertake a personal tutoring, mentoring or coaching role to support learner progress.
It encourages individual reflection and improvement in practice by working to meet the National Occupational Standards for Personal Tutoring.
The training can be completed as a self-directed distance learning activity or it can be delivered as part of an in-house training programme and covers:
- Understanding the personal tutor role, responsibilities and relationship
- Facilitating individual learning and development
- Enabling learners to recognise, develop and apply transferable skills
- Supporting Learners’ academic, personal and welfare needs
- Supporting individuals’ transition and progression
- Contributing to the quality and impact of personal tutoring
How to purchase
The ‘How to Become an Outstanding Personal Tutor’ is training pack is available as a PDF document for you to print as required. Every pack is assigned a Portfolio Number which will be used to confirm completion of the course and to produce the Certificate of Completion provided by FETN. One or more packs can be purchased.
The cost for each individual pack is £35 for Members and £45 for Non-members